Monday, January 23, 2012

A Word for Preachers...Spurgeon on the Road to Christ

"Don't you know young man that from every town, and every village, and every little hamlet in England, wherever it may be, there is a road to London? ... (A)nd so from every text in Scripture, there is a road to the metropolis of the Scriptures, that is Christ. And my dear brother, your business is when you get to a text, to say, 'Now what is the road to Christ?' and then preach a sermon, running along the road towards the great metropolis - Christ. I have never yet found a text that had not got a road to Christ in it, and if I ever do find one that has not a road to Christ in it, I will make one; I will go over hedge and ditch but I would get at my Master, for the sermon cannot do any good unless there is a savor of Christ in it."

Charles Spurgeon
Lectures to My Students

No comments: