Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom...Gerhard Forde on Salvation by Faith Alone

"We are justified freely, for Christ’s sake, by faith, without the exertion of our own strength, gaining of merit, or doing of works. To the age old question, 'What shall I do to be saved?' the confessional answer is shocking: 'Nothing! Just be still; shut up and listen for once in your life to what God the Almighty, creator and redeemer, is saying to his world and to you in the death and resurrection of his Son! Listen and believe!'

Gerhard Forde
Justification by Faith—A Matter of Death and Life

3 comments:

jbboren said...

This is an author of whom I am not familiar. Sounds like I might need to read some of his work.

Pete Scribner said...

Yeah...He was a Lutheran theologian. I haven't read any of his works, but have seen/heard a lot of great quotes from him.

Steve Martin said...

Late to the party (as usual).

Gerhard Forde was an terrific theologian of the cross.

I have cited him and have many quotes by him featured on my blog ( theoldadam.com).

My pastor was a student of his (Forde's) and I also get a lot of Forde that way.

Thanks.