Friday, January 20, 2012

Valley of Vision: A Christian's Prayer

Blessed God,
Ten thousand snares are mine without and within,
   defend thou me;
When sloth and indolence seize me,
   give me views of heaven;
When sinners entice me,
   give me disrelish of their ways;
When sensual pleasures tempt me,
   purify and refine me;
When I desire worldly possessions,
   help me to be rich toward thee;
When the vanities of the world ensnare me,
   let me not plunge into new guilt and ruin.
May I remember the dignity of my spiritual release,
   never be too busy to attend to my soul,
   never be so engrossed with time
   that I neglect the things of eternity;
   thus may I not only live, but grow towards thee.
Form my mind to right notions of religion,
   that I may not judge of grace by wrong conceptions,
   nor measure my spiritual advances
   by the efforts of my natural being.
May I seek after an increase of divine love to thee,
   after unreserved resignation to thy will,
   after extensive benevolence to my fellow creatures,
   after patience and fortitude of soul,
   after a heavenly disposition
   after a concern that I may please thee in public and private.
Draw on my soul the lineaments of Christ,
   in every trace and feature of which thou wilt
   take delight, for I am thy workmanship,
   created in Christ Jesus,
   thy letter written with the Holy Spirit’s pen,
   thy tilled soil ready for the sowing, then harvest.

From Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions

No comments: