Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's Hard Being a Christian Sports Fan

One of my favorite topics to write about is the relationship between two of my favorite things: sports and faith.  As I've pointed out before, no matter what others might say, I really do believe that there is room for God in sports.

Well, perhaps you heard the news that Jim Tressel, a professing Christian and Ohio State's football coach, is in trouble for telling a couple lies and trying to cover it up. Up here in Michigan, the fact that Ohio State is in hot water is to many people the best news imaginable short of an act of Congress outlawing all foreign cars on American soil.

But Michigan fan Dan Rose, a fellow-pastor and friend of mine brought a little godly perspective to the situation today at his blog:
By all accounts Jim Tressel is a man who pursues Jesus. He is, therefore, my brother. When a brother stumbles and falls it is heartbreaking. Tressel made a poor choice, lied, and got caught. This is not a football problem, it is a sin problem. I am prayerful that “The Vest” has men in his life who tell him hard things and that they are drawing alongside him now.
It is in these kinds of situations that those of who are called “Christian” must determine where our allegiances ultimately lie, with the body of Christ or a football team. If you are a Christian and a Michigan fan I hope that you will refrain from making light of this or taking shots at Tressel. If you are a Christian and a Buckeye fan I hope that you refrain from making light of this and overlooking the sin. 
I suggest you click here and read the whole post.

No comments: