Friday, January 28, 2011

Fool With A Fancy Guitar

I've talked before on a number of occasions about Andrew Peterson and how much I enjoy his music.  While I enjoy the musical content of his songs, what I truly love about them is the rich depth of poetry and meaning in his lyrics.

I think I enjoy listening to Peterson's Counting Stars more than any other album.  Among the many songs that I love on it, my favorite is probably his ode to marriage, Dancing In the Minefields.  Not far behind it though is Fool With A Fancy Guitar, which beautifully explores our identity in Christ Jesus.  Here is a video of an acoustic presentation of this great song (with lyrics below).




FOOL WITH A FANCY GUITAR
Words and Music by Andrew Peterson

It’s so easy to cash in these chips on my shoulder
So easy to loose this old tongue like a tiger
It’s easy to let all this bitterness smolder
Just to hide it away like a cigarette lighter

It’s easy to curse and to hurt and to hinder
It’s easy to not have the heart to remember
That I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God

I’ve got voices that scream in my head like a siren
Fears that I feel in the night when I sleep
Stupid choices I made when I played in the mire
Like a kid in the mud on some dirty blind street

I’ve got sorrow to spare, I’ve got loneliness too
I’ve got blood on these hands that hold on to the truth
That I am a priest and a prince in the Kindgom of God

I swore on the Bible to not tell a lie
But I’ve lied and lied
And I crossed my heart and I hoped to die
And I’ve died and died

But if it’s true that you gathered my sin in your hand
And you cast it as far as the east from the west
If it’s true that you put on the flesh of a man
And you walked in my shoes through the shadow of death

If it’s true that you dwell in the halls of my heart
Then I’m not just a fool with a fancy guitar
No, I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God

2 comments:

D.R said...

Just thought I'd introduce myself as your latest follower. I'm DR, from Lewis, in Scotland. I gather from reading your blog you have heard Iain D Campell. Well, I live on the same Island as him, about 30mins from where he preaches. I have been to Michigan twice. I look forward to reading more of your blog: it looks fantastic

DR

Pete Scribner said...

DR -

Thanks so much for checking out the blog, and even more so for introducing yourself. I heard Dr. Campbell preach at a conference this summer and was GREATLY blessed by the experience. His message "The Song of David's Son" was marvelous, and I have a link to it posted in the "Some of My Favorite Sermons" section of my blog's sidebar.

May the Lord richly bless you with an ever-increasing knowledge of and love for Him.