Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Hymns...Some Thoughts for Advent (1)

The other day I was listening to some Christmas hymns and it occurred to me how theologically rich the lyrical content of many of these songs is. Unfortunately, it has often been my practice (and I assume the same is true for at least some of you) to be so familiar with these songs that I sing them without actually thinking about the words I am singing.

As a result, I thought it might be a nice idea to write short reflections on certain lines and verses throughout the season of Advent. My primary goal in this is to help ensure my heart and mind are in the right place of worship as Christmas approaches. I hope you will benefit as well.

Isaiah 7:14 reads, "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." These words were given to the people of Israel on the virtual eve of their being carried off into captivity by Assyria. As they were in exile, it is easy to imagine them singing,
O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
The name “Emmanuel” is a Hebrew phrase which translates literally as “God with us,” so what is represented here is a desire for God to come be with us. But the desire is not just that he might come be with us so that we’re not lonely. Rather, the purpose of this coming is that he might “ransom captive Israel, that is, the covenant people of God.

It is interesting how a number of Christmas hymns “work” not just at Christmas, but year round. We often see ourselves as those who are comfortable and at home in the world around us. If we are to think biblically though, it would be more proper to see ourselves as lonely exiles, awaiting deliverance by the hand of our great king (Philippians 3:20).

You see, just as we normally think of the Lord’s first coming when we sing this song, so too we should really be longing now for the second coming of Emmanuel. As Trevin Wax has suggested, perhaps that is why it opens with the two-fold, “O come, O come…” Certainly, this Advent we ought to look forward to the day we celebrate the birth of Christ.  But how much more ought we to look forward to the day he actually returns!  For, “He who testifies to these things says, ‘Surely I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” (Revelation 22:20).

1 comment:

J said...

Wonderful post Brother.

I often find myself doing one of two things when it comes to singing "Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs", either I sing them with such passion that my mind does not grasp what is protruding from my mouth, or I stare at the page and fail to lift my voice on high due to my slow mind not singing and thinking at the same time.
I very much look forward to more posts along these lines that I might be aided in singing praises to our King.
Jacob