Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bizarre Baseball Card Happenings

When I was a kid I used to collect baseball cards. One of my buddies got some 1950 Bowman cards from someone and I traded him a bunch of more recent cards for a few of his 1950 Bowmans. The three cards I got were of Hall of Fame Pitcher Robin Roberts, and two players I was less aware of named Walt Dropo and Phil Cavaretta.

Dropo and Cavaretta were good players in their own right. Dropo won the 1950 American League Rookie of the Year and Cavaretta won the 1945 National League Most Valuable Player. What is so intriguing about the fact that theirs were two of the three old cards I had is the fact that the two of them died within 24 hours of each other this weekend (Dropo died Friday night and Cavaretta died on Saturday).

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with anything other than to say that I found it oddly interesting and I have a blog, so there it is.

No comments: