Friday, August 19, 2011

The Integrity of God

In Ezekiel 36:36, God says in reference to his prophetic promises to his people, "I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it."

As I thought about this passage, it struck me how intertwined are God's identity, his word, and his actions.  Sometimes I say things and then don't  follow through, or do things that are less than consistent with who I am (at least who I am in Christ).  But with God there is no such disjunction.  There is perfect integrity between who he is, what he says and what he does.  God will never act out of character with himself.  He will never speak rashly nor make a promise and then not follow through.

So it is that we can be confident in his proclamation that as we behold his glory, we are constantly being transformed into his likeness (2 Corinthians 3:18), and we can be sure that this work he has begun will one day be brought unto completion (Phillippians 1:6).  What glorious words of promise!  Oh how I long for that day!

No comments: