Thursday, November 11, 2010

Random Act of Culture

"Heavenly" is not an adjective I would normally use to describe Christmas shopping.  Today I saw something which proved to be an exception to that general rule.

A few months ago, I shared a post about Improv Everywhere, the improvisational comedy troupe that conducts seemingly random "missions" in public places.  Much in the same vein, the Knight Foundation and the Opera Company of Philadelphia organized a "Random Act of Culture" at Macy's in Philadelphia on October 30.  Over 650 singers from 28 different organizations dispersed throughout the department store, indistinguishable from other shoppers.  Indistinguishable that is, until they, accompanied by the world's largest pipe organ, spontaneously burst into Hallelujah from Handel's Messiah.



(HT: Vitamin Z)

1 comment:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I posted this on my blog yesterday. I was completely blown away by it. In fact, I felt decidedly un-Highlandish-calvinist-and-presbyterian, because - honestly - by the end of it, I wanted to raise my arms, punch the air, and cry a shout of adoration to my Saviour. (I did do some of these things, and wept too - in joy and in adoration)
As I say - it really blew me away.
Wonderful.