Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prayer and Practical Atheism

Mike Wittmer posts a devotional today on the topic of prayer.  In it he makes reference to the fact that renowned atheist Christopher Hitchens is dying of cancer.  Hitchens reportedly has said that if others so desired, they could offer up their prayers for him, but that as long as he "remained in his right mind," he would "not be taking part in that."

The point of the devotional is that Hitchens has hit on something profound here: prayer (either its presence or absence) is the proof of faith (or the lack thereof).  This has much to do with the fact that prayer is, by definition, an act of humility and trust: admitting that I can not accomplish what I need accomplished, and believing that God can.

Mike concludes,
We may say that we believe in God, but if we can make it through our day without prayer then we are pretty much like Hitchens.  Let’s repent of our practical atheism and carve out time to talk with God.  Ask him for whatever you need, and when you receive it, give him thanks.
You can read the whole post here.

1 comment:

jbboren said...

Practical atheism has become a topic of increasing interest to me. I was asked be a couple folks a year ago (or so) why some non-believers became passive agnostics while others became militant atheists.

I couldn't answer the question. I think I have some answers now, but the topic continues to interest me. This post helps put some shoe leather on it.

By the way, thanks for the follow over on my blog, Pete. I've added your blog to my 'blogroll'.

jbb