Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pray for Boldness

Michael Kelley authors a great guest post for Zach Nielsen today over at one of my favorite blogs, Take Your Vitamin Z.

In it he offers a helpful corrective for our prayer lives, suggesting that in the midst of difficulties, the focus of our prayers ought to be boldness to proclaim the gospel in the midst of our circumstances as opposed to deliverance from them.
Boldness, not deliverance. Extension of the gospel, not a change in circumstances. Courage, not comfort. Maybe I ought to spend a little more time praying for that type of thing rather than a band-aid for my perceived problems. Because if I did, it would show that I had a much more full grasp of how big and important the gospel really is.
I recently finished preaching through Ephesians, and I am likewise reminded of the example we find there of Paul. Though he was under arrest, his prayer request was actually not that he would be released, as I'm quite sure mine would be. Rather he asks for prayer "that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak" (Ephesians 6:19-20).

You can read Michael's whole post here. By the way, be praying for Zach that he would proclaim the gospel boldly in Madison, Wisconsin, as he is in the process of moving to be part of a church plant there.

No comments: