Monday, August 16, 2010

Being In Love: A Terrible Reason To Get Married

I often tell couples that "being in love" is a terrible reason to get married. Don't get me wrong. I hope that if you do get married that you are in love with your spouse. What I'm saying here is that this ought to be a circumstance of your marriage, not the reason for it.

I say this because there will almost certainly come a day when you won't feel the same you do today. Feelings ebb and flow; that's their nature. And if a feeling was the basis of your marriage, then it goes without saying that when that feeling isn't as strong (or isn't there at all) that the marriage is in grave danger.

What is far more important than any feeling is the idea reflecting the image of God through covenant keeping. This is what John Piper is getting at in this short clip:



(HT: Vitamin Z)

No comments: