Thursday, December 8, 2011

Chronicles of Narnia: Who Said Anything About Safe?

“You'll understand when you see him.”

“But shall we see him?” asked Susan.

“Why, Daughter of Eve, that's what I brought you here for. I'm to lead you where you shall meet him, said Mr. Beaver.”

“Is – is he a man?” asked Lucy.

“Aslan a man!” said Mr. Beaver sternly. “Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don’t you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion – the Lion, the great Lion.”

“Ooh,” said Susan, “I thought he was a man. Is he – quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion.”

“That you will, dearie, and make no mistake,” said Mrs. Beaver; “if there’s anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they’re either braver than most or else just silly.”

“Then he isn’t safe?” said Lucy.

“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the king I tell you.”

From The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

No comments: