Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Faith Reviving by Augustus Toplady

Recently I came across the words to the hymn Faith Reviving by Augustus Toplady, who also more famously penned Rock of Ages.  I have no idea to what tune it Faith Reviving is sung, but I was struck by the poignancy of the great message of Christ's atonement for his Church.  What comfort we who are in Christ find in the fact that he not only died to make our salvation possible, but to make it sure!


From whence this fear and unbelief?
Hath not the Father put to grief
     His spotless Son for me?
And will the righteous Judge of men
Condemn me for that debt of sin
     Which, Lord, was charged on thee?

Complete atonement thou hast made,
And to the utmost farthing paid
     Whate’er thy people owed;
How then can wrath on me take place
If sheltered in thy righteousness,
     And sprinkled with thy blood?

If thou hast my discharge procured,
And freely in my room endured
     The whole of wrath divine,
Payment God cannot twice demand—
First at my bleeding Surety’s hand,
     And then again at mine.

Turn then, my soul, unto thy rest!
The merits of thy great High Priest
     Have bought thy liberty;
Trust in his efficacious blood,
Nor fear thy banishment from God,
     Since Jesus died for thee.

1 comment:

George Seevers, Van Alstyne, TX said...

Regarding Faith Reviving by Toplady: the line "to the utmost farthing paid" is often changed to "to the utmost Thou hast paid," for contemporary American readers. I have used the melody Ariel with it. That is the same melody used for "O Could I Speak the Matchless Worth." A friend PDF'd it for me. Both words and music are public domain, so if you would like a copy, I will send it as an attachment. I have several you might find interesting. I have Round the Lord in Glory Seated coupled with an old Welsh melody, which unleashes the text. The original melody is a bit plodding for that particular text. Please allow me to send some of these to you. I am a former Reformed Baptist preacher, who is now rather isolated, and I would covet being useful to someone else's gospel efforts. You can message George Seevers, Van Alstyne Texas on Facebook, and we can exchange email addresses.