Monday, March 1, 2010

Warnings on Self-Righteousness

Tullian Tchividjian had some real good thoughts on self-righteousness yesterday. In addition to the expected (and warranted) warnings for "conservative, buttoned-down, rule-keeping" types, he also included this observation about those who have reacted against such a view of things:

It’s simple: we can become self-righteous against those who are self-righteous. Many younger evangelicals today are reacting to their parents’ conservative, buttoned-down, rule-keeping flavor of “older brother religion” with a type of liberal, untucked, rule-breaking flavor of “younger brother irreligion” which screams, ”That’s right, I know I don’t have it all together and you think you do; I know I’m not good and you think you are. That makes me better than you.” See the irony?

In other words, they’re proud that they’re not self-righteous!

No comments: