Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Valley of Vision: What Beauty Captures Your Gaze?

Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & DevotionsRecently, I've been working my way through Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions.  I don't think I can put into words precisely what a blessing these prayers have been to my soul. In an age where so many of us never really learned how to pray, and the rest of us seem to have forgotten, these prayers, full of Christ and full of grace, serve as a helpful tutor.  This morning's prayer, for example, concluded with the following set of petitions:

     Grant me never to lose sight of
          the exceeding sinfulness of sin,
          the exceeding righteousness of salvation,
          the exceeding glory of Christ,
          the exceeding beauty of holiness,
          the exceeding wonder of grace.

May this indeed be our prayer.  Instead of focusing on life's many distractions, may these be the things that captivate us!

No comments: