Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Francis Chan on Prayer

During lunchtime today I watched the live stream of Francis Chan's message on prayer at the Desiring God Pastors' Conference.  Many great points were made as Chan challenged us to consider "Prayer as a Way of Walking in Love."

Of all the wonderful points he made though, I was most impacted and convicted by a question he posed.  He essentially asked, "If I were to look at a transcript of your prayers for the last month, what one thing would it be that I'd see that you kept asking for?"

Quite honestly, it hasn't always been this way in the past, but it is my hope and prayer that from this point forward I could answer this question with the words of David in Psalm 27:4: "One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple."

What an amazingly merciful gift it is that God offers this opportunity to us.  And what a tragic thing that we so commonly neglect it.

No comments: