Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Unfaithful People of a Faithful God

One of my favorite churches, The Crossing in Columbia, Missouri, put together the following  video which serves to remind us of two things:
1) Whatever self-generated righteousness with which we try to clothe ourselves is really nothing but a polluted garment in the eyes of God (Isaiah 64:6).
2) Nevertheless, even in the midst of our faithlessness, God is still faithful to those who find their identity and righteousness in Him (2 Timothy 2:13).
    As I've highlighted before (both here and here) and as my friends at The Crossing point out here, the Bible is neither a book of rules nor a book of heroes, but rather it is the story of Jesus as the one true hero.
    Only Jesus’ faithful life and death for our sin and resurrection to guarantee the full redemption and restoration of humanity and the earth IS the point.
    Our salvation is God’s doing from first to last through Christ and his Holy Spirit.
    Watch the video below, and if you'd like, click here to listen to a recent sermon on the topic by The Crossing's pastor, Dave Cover.  And may we all be like the man who cried out to Jesus in Mark 9:24, "I believe!  Help my unbelief!"


    Revelation of Humanity from The Crossing on Vimeo.

    1 comment:

    Jeff B. said...

    Pete
    Your post today raises a lot of questions in my mind. I am too slow at typing to get them all out before Karen grabs me to go out. I will listen to the sermon tonight and see if I have more time to respond then. I will raise one question. Did Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Rachel And David have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as Jesus promised to his disciples and if they did why would God need a temple build by human hands. Paul says we are the temple of God in 2Cor 6.