Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Response to Ricky Gervais

A few weeks back, comedian Ricky Gervais wrote a column for the Wall Street Journal on why he is an atheist.  Yesterday, my friend Dave Cover wrote a response to Ricky Gervais.  It probably won't appear in the Journal, but hey, it got mentioned here.  Somehow I'm guessing Dave's not too excited.

Dave is Teaching Pastor at The Crossing Church in Columbia, Missouri and a really sharp guy.  I found his post to be very thoughtful and thought-provoking as he points out some of the logical fallacies that Gervais and other atheists often fall into in presenting their arguments.  In the end though, the strength of Dave's argument rests not in his refutation of atheists' beliefs, but in the rationale for his own:
One big reason I believe in Christianity is that there is convincing historical evidence for a real Jesus who lived, did miracles, was crucified, and rose from the dead. I believe the New Testament is not a book of myth, but of historical fact and truthful teaching on the realities I see everyday in the human condition: that sin is destructive, that human beings have souls, that love is better than hate, that evil is real and good is real, that life has meaning and death is foreign to my created instincts.
I highly recommend you click here to check it out.

3 comments:

jbboren said...

Pete, the link to the full post is broken.

??

Pete Scribner said...

Thanks, Dr. Boren. It's now fixed.

jbboren said...

Unless you are one of my students and in my class, it's just, 'JB'.

;-)