Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Twitter Bowl (@StevieJohnson13, part 2)

In light of my blog post yesterday on Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson, I wanted to post somewhat of a follow-up.  First of all, one of the problems with twitter is that when you tweet something, it’s out there.  We all have said things we wish we hadn’t (or said them in less then perfect ways).  With twitter, there’s absolutely no un-ringing the bell.  And for that reason, we should probably all be a little more careful about what we tweet (or blog, for that matter).

Furthermore, it was pointed out to me earlier today, that Johnson's reaction was much like that of the psalmist who sometimes questioned God (in words God deemed fit for Scripture).  These questions seem to point to a genuine relationship with God, even if the theology behind them is less than precise.

That being said, I was real encouraged to see the different tone in some of Johnson’s subsequent tweets yesterday.  I figured that if I (along with countless others) were to pass along Johnson’s original tweet, it’s only right that I publicize these as well:
I learned A lot Within 24hrs. Saw Both Sides.(Ups&Dwns) I AM HAPPY & THANKFUL 4 YESTERDAY! w/out Sunday iWldnt have grew closer w/The Lord!!
And No I Did Not Blame God People! Seriously??!? CMon! I Simply Cried Out And Asked Why? Jus Like yal did wen sumthin went wrong n ur life!
Spoke To Friends Fam Teammates and Most Importantly I Spoke With My Wife. I Honestly Believe Evrything Happens For A Reason! Everything!
And today:
GMorning World.. (slowly walks in n looks around out the corners of my eyes) Nah Wutup World #LetsPutASmileOnThatFace New Day We ALL Blessed
Almost Missed Your Tweet Mr. Warner. I Just Want to Say Thank You! Meant A Lot! @kurt13warner
The last of those is a reference to a series of tweets Johnson received from former All-Pro quarterback (and Dancing With the Stars hoofer) Kurt Warner.  They read:
Hey, man, we all have those moments! I had way too many of them... Keep ur head up, U will b on other side next time!
I asked same thing when released in STL & benched 3 times, But then God did his thing... Be ready! Enjoy watching you play!
Last thing... Keep representing the 'Lucky 13'! (a reference to their shared uniform number).
On a different note, here we see yet another example of why, dating back to his days with the Rams, Kurt Warner has been, is, and always will be my favorite football player.

I actually volunteered for the Rams video crew during the 1997 and 1998 seasons, running still photos out to the coaches during games. Unfortunately for me, my timing was a little less than perfect.  You see, the Rams moved to St. Louis for in 1995 and won seven games their first year.  They followed that up with a six win campaign in 1996.  In the two seasons I worked with them, the Rams won five and four games, respectively.  Then my wife and I had our first child, I quit working for the Rams because of the time commitment it required of me, Kurt Warner burst onto the scene, and the Rams won the Super Bowl.  

Much has been written about the key to the Rams’ success being the former Hy-Vee stock boy who started tossing touchdowns.  Now you know the real key was that I was no longer on the sideline!

1 comment:

jbboren said...

I'm glad you posted these. I too blogged on Johnson's original tweet, and while I tried to angle it toward all of us having the same seeds of self-righteousness inside, I don't know that I was as fair to Mr. Johnson as I should have been.