Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Go, Rangers!

The World Series gets underway tonight.  As a St. Louis Cardinal fan (and an old-time, traditionalist one at that), I normally root for the National League's entrant in the World Series.  This year is different though.  I am rooting for the Texas Rangers of the American League.  It's not that I have anything in particular against the San Francisco Giants, it's just that I find the Rangers compelling for a number of reasons, some of which are admittedly better than others:
  1. The Rangers have never won the World Series.  In fact, they had never won a playoff series of any kind before this season.
  2. During his playing career, I was always a big fan of Nolan Ryan.  I'm not sure if there was a non-Cardinal who I liked more.  He is the team president for the Rangers, and in just his third year at the helm, he has led them to unprecedented heights.
  3. Texas second baseman Ian Kinsler, one of the team's stars, is an alum of my alma mater, the University of Missouri.
  4. Both my in-laws and my college roommate live in Dallas.  My family tries to go there at least annually and we really like the area.  In fact, my wife recently visited, and brought home an Ian Kinsler replica jersey as a souvenir for my son (which he wore to school today).
  5. The Josh Hamilton story.  It's my favorite kind of story - a story of redemption.  Watch the video below.


(HT: Challies)

No comments: