Tuesday, July 13, 2010

When N.T. Wright Brought Hope to The Colbert Report

About two years ago, Stephen Colbert had Bishop N.T. Wright on his show, The Colbert Report. A friend of mine posted a link to it on facebook today, and when I saw it I thought I'd pass it on.

A couple of thoughts before watching the video:

  1. N.T. Wright is about a million times smarter than me and ten million times the Bible scholar I am. I respect his scholarship immensely on any number of subjects, including what he has to say in this video.
  2. That being said, I take issue with some of his work on the topic of justification. If it were just my opinion against his on this, I'd feel like I was on real shaky ground. The fact is though, that there are plenty of other folks who are also a million times smarter than me and ten million times the Bible scholar I am, who also happen to disagree with Wright on justification.
  3. That should not in any way diminish the validity in our minds of what he has to say in this video. I only wish he had more time to discuss this all with Colbert.
  4. Finally, Credit needs to be given where credit is due. Credit Colbert for having such a respected evangelical scholar on and being fairly respectful toward him. And credit Wright for reaching out to an audience that might not normally be sitting in the pews, and doing so in a quick-witted fashion that was perfect for the forum. And even if the audience didn’t get it, “We played for a dogma a hole,” is pretty funny stuff.
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Bishop N.T. Wright
http://www.colbertnation.com/
Colbert Report Full Episodes2010 ElectionFox News


(HT: Robbie Griggs)

No comments: