Monday, April 25, 2011

Why Do People Come to Church on Easter?

Yesterday, it was wonderful to worship the risen Lord Jesus Christ together with church members and visitors alike at Calvary Presbyterian Church. Our sanctuary was full, necessitating the addition of folding chairs to accommodate the attendees. I don't know if it was the joy of the occasion or just the greater-than-normal number of voices, but the singing of hymns seemed especially passionate, and (at least for me) was even more enjoyable than normal.

My son is a bright, inquisitive boy, and on our way home from church, he asked me a question.  "Why," he enquired, "do so many more people come to church on Easter than usual?"

I explained to him that there were probably two reasons.  On the one hand, at any given church, not all of the "regular attendees" are there every week.  Though it might be different people each time, 10-15% of them (just to pick a number) might not be there on any given Sunday.  But on Easter, almost all of them will make sure that they are there on THAT Sunday.

As for the rest of the increase in church attendance, I told him that there are also plenty of people who feel like they should come to church on Easter, but don't seem to feel such a compulsion the other 51 Sundays each year.  As I said before, my son is a very smart boy, and he would not let me off quite that easy.  He pressed, "But why do they want to come on Easter if they don't the rest of the time?"

I had to admit to him that I did not have a good answer.  Perhaps they're going out to lunch with family afterward.  Regardless, we should be thankful that they are there on that day, because that might be the only time in the year that they really hear about the grace of God through Jesus Christ available to sinners like us.

So, in the same inquisitive, non-judgmental sense that my son asked me, I ask you, "Why do people who don't go to church the rest of the year show up on Easter?"  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

jbboren said...

Bright kid, there.

I think one reason is, because I've asked a few of those folks why, they have a strong humanistic view of salvation. They think that showing up on the important day of the year will pacify God into going ahead and letting them into heaven one day. Now, they don't use these exact words, but that's to what it boils down.

I've actually heard on man say, "I'm not trying for a front-row seat (in heaven); I'm just trying to get one foot in the door."

All-in-all, it comes down to years and years of moralistic and therapeutic preaching along with a humanistic worldview instead of a steady dose of the gospel.

I know it's more complex than just this, but I find this reason to be common, if not quite ubiquitous.

Jeff B. said...

Do you believe in God. Answer yes
Do you believe that his only begotten Son Jesus died on the cross for your sins. Yes
Do you believe Jesus is Lord. Yes
Is Jesus Lord over your life and do you submit yourself to him. I do on Easter morning.