Saturday, April 23, 2011

When We Weep in the Dark

When it comes to bedtime, my daughter is a world-class staller.  She knows exactly which buttons to push, which means that on many occasions, I just happen to be faced with theological questions at her bed-side. This night was one of those times, as she initiated a conversation about what happened at Jesus' tomb on Easter morning.

I was glad to have that discussion with her for a couple reasons, even if it did mean she got a little less sleep than normal.  I was glad, because what happened at that tomb on that day is far more important than an extra five minutes of sleep (and more important than just about anything else, for that matter).

But I was also glad to contemplate the events of that morning as it brought to mind one of my favorite sermons that I have ever heard preached.  When I was in seminary, Zack Eswine preached a message entitled "When We Weep in the Dark" from John 20 at a chapel service.  It beautifully captured what it is that disciples of Jesus are supposed to see at the tomb.

Click here to listen to this wonderful sermon.

No comments: