Monday, June 4, 2012

A Word for Preachers...Lloyd-Jones on Dull Preaching

“I am disturbed therefore when I am often told by members of churches that many of the younger Reformed men are very good men, who have no doubt read a great deal, and are very learned men, but they are very dull and boring preachers; and I am told this by people who themselves hold the Reformed position. This is to me a very serious matter; there is something radically wrong with dull and boring preachers. How can a man be dull when he is handling such themes? I would say that a ‘dull preacher’ is a contradiction in terms; if he is dull he is not a preacher. He may stand in a pulpit and talk, but he is certainly not a preacher. With the grand theme and message of the Bible dullness is impossible.”

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones  
Preachers & Preaching

1 comment:

J said...

Thanks for posting this quote today Pete. Really helpful reminder of the exciting realities of the work we are called to.

Jacob