Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pursuing Godliness

I like to listen to sermons online and on my iPod. If you like to do the same (or even if you don’t, for that matter), let me commend to you a sermon I recently heard dealing with the need for Christians to be dilligent in their pursuit of Godliness.

Last Sunday night at University Reformed Church in East Lansing, Michigan, Kevin DeYoung preached a message from 2 Peter 1:8-11 entitled The Premise for Godliness. I won’t spoil the whole thing for you in case you'd like to check it out, but here are a few points that particularly stuck out for me:

  1. Godliness is not a destination at which we arrive. Rather it is something in which we must always be increasing.

  2. A quote from John Calvin: “The blood of Christ has not become a washing bath to us that it may be fouled by our filth.”

  3. Bearing fruit is not primarily a matter of things which we do. Rather they are, at their core, evidences of who we are.

  4. We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone.

No comments: